In the Algarve camping is incredibly popular. Motorhomes can be found travelling around the Algarve all year, not just the Summer, but they must be parked at night at official sites. Want to go camping or own a motorhome, we will explain all of the sites that are available.
If you own a motorhome or want to go camping, it's very useful to know about the Algarve Motorhome Support Network, known here as the RAARA. The support network, setup only recently in January 2015, promotes both legal camp sites and motorhome sites across the region. If the site is not a member of the RAARA, it could be illegal or not up to standard.
Algarve camping and caravanning sites may be either public or private. Private sites must display a "P", and are generally for members only. Sites are ranked from 1 to 4 stars, with 4 being the best. The numbers used below to identify each camp site, correspond to the numbers in the map above, travelling from west to east.
1, 4 & 10. Orbitur run four campsites in the Algarve, located at Sagres in the far west, Valverde, which is near Lagos, Quarteira and Ilha de Armona (not marked on the map). The last site is an island in the Ria Formosa which is opposite Olhao in the east of the region. The Orbitur site is in several languages, provides online booking and maps. The Quarteira and Valverde sites are rated 3 stars and Sagres 2 star.
2. The Serrao campsite is located just north of Aljezur on the west coast. This campsite is for both caravans and tents, and provides extensive facilities for your vacation, including a restaurant, grocery store, car wash, barbecue, swimming pool and tennis courts. The website allows for online booking and had details on prices. The site has a 3 star rating.
3. Turiscampo, just outside of Lagos, is a camping and bungalow park. Bungalows and cottages are available to stay in. The site has a restaurant, a wellness clinic, daytime and evening entertainment and a large swimming pool. The website is in multiple languages and takes online bookings. The camp site has a 2 star rating.
5. Heading east from Lagos is Alvor, which is where Camping Alvor is situated. The camp is located very close to the beautiful River Alvor. The 4.5 hectares includes a playground, pub, restaurant, swimming pool, farm, barbecue and car washing facilities. There are apartments and lodges also to rent. Booking is available online. It has a 2 star rating.
6. Parque de Campismo at Ferragudo is close to Portimao. The website is in Portuguese only and is quite dated. Call us to obtain further information. This camp site is not rated.
7. Camping Armacao de Pera is located at the entrance to the village close to Albufeira in a beautiful region. The site has a grocery shop, playground, catering and a swimming pool. The web site is in several languages but online booking is not available. Just call us if you want us to book. It is a 3 star camp site.
8. Also at Armacao de Pera is Camping Canelas, a 4 hectare site. Apartments are also available here to rent. Services include a café, restaurant, mini market, laundry. The web site also includes a virtual tour, useful to take a look to see if it's what you require. Prices are available online, but booking is not. This is a 3 star camp site.
9. At Albufeira is Albufeira Camping. Mobile homes and bungalows are available to book. This site has many facilities, a supermarket, restaurant, car wash, bar, swimming pool, tennis courts, children's playground, disco, and a shop. The website is in several languages and online booking is available. This is 4 start camp site.
11. Parque de Campismo e Caravanismo de Olhao is a campsite ear Olhao on the eastern side of the Algarve close to the Ria Formosa. It has good facilities with two tennis courts, 2 swimming pools including one for children, sports field, playground, restaurant, snack bar, ice cream, shop, café and laundry. The website is in Portuguese only and booking is not available online. Call us if you want to know more or to make a booking. It is a 3 star camp site.
12. At Fuseta, in between Olhao and Tavira, is the campsite Roteiro Campista. The website is quite old but does provide price information, but not much else. If this is a site your are interested in, give us a call, and we will provide the latest information for you. It is a 2 star camp site.
13. Camping Rio Formosa is east of Tavira on the way up to the Spanish border. The campsite includes modern nice looking bungalows and mobile homes. Facilities include free Wi-Fi, grocery shop, restaurant, small gym, swimming pools (children and adults), barbecue and more. The website is in multiple languages, but booking cannot be done online. Call us to organise for you.
14. In Monte Gordo in the far east of the region just before Spain is the Parque de Campismo de Monte Gordo. It is very close to the beach, Praia de Monte Gordo. It is a 3 star camp site. The web site does not not appear to work at present, so call us to enquire about this site.
Away from the coast and in the mountains, are two approved sites.
15. The Parque Rural Vale da Carrasqueira campsite is in the Monchique mountains, a short drive from Monchique, which itself is close to the highest spot in the Algarve. Facilities include a swimming pool, barbecue, dining room and a bar with snooker table. Apartments are also available to rent. The site is in English but online booking and process are not available. Call us to organise.
16. Parque Rural da Quinta de Odelouca is in a lovely peaceful location located in a river basin, ideal if you want to get away from everything. It has a Salt water swimming pool. You're expected to be quiet from 10.30pm until 7am. The site is in several languages and prices are online. Call us to book.
There are not many Motorhome parks in the region, most web sites have very limited information:
17 and 19. The Algarve Motorhome Park have two sites, one at Silves and the other at Falesia which is close to Olhos D'Agua
18. The KM64 - Parque de Autocaravanas is close to the EN125 at Pera
20. The Parque de Autocaravanismo da Manta Rota is right on the beach at Manta Rota half way between Tavira and Vila Real de Santo Antonio.
21. In Vila Real de Santo Antonio is the Área de Serviço da Muralha. The site does not have a website so the GPS coordinates are: 37.199166,-7.415833
22. Inland and very close to the Spanish Border is the Alamada d'ouro club. With a view of the Guadiana river and the Odeleite dam, it has Wi-Fi and a shop.
23. The Parque do Castelo motorhome park near Silves does not have a website. GPS coordinates are: 37.193550, -8.435893